SubjectRe: February 30th 6240?
If we're taking ideal calendars here, I put my vote in for 13 equal
months of 28 days (exactly four weeks) each. 13 * 28 = 364, so the
extra day is "Christmas Day", which isn't a day of the week. When we
have leap years, we have "Leap day", which also isn't a day of the
week.[1]

The big win here is that calendar makers go out of business because
the calendar is the same each year, apart from leap years, which
simply have the extra day, and are otherwise the same. Every date
always falls on the same day of the week every year. All the events
(like the beginning and end of daylight savings) that fall on (for
instance) "the last sunday in March" could have fixed dates. Rents
and salaries are the same every month whether you are working on a
weekly or a monthly basis.

Now, can we kill this thread _PLEASE_?

Sean

[1]By "not a day of the week" I mean the sequence of days in that week
would be something like "Saturday", "Sunday", "Christmas Day",
"Monday" etc

On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 08:42:37PM -0500, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, J. Scott Kasten wrote:
>
> > Actually, I beleive it releives the need for the 3000 year correction.
> > The 400 year correction is still applied. That's why Feb has 29 days
> > this year.
>
> Why don't we just make December 21st equal to the first day of the year, such
> that the solstice falls on January 1st. This would serve as a perfect solar
> marker that determines when the year actually begins. Then, we could look back
> at the astronomers of the 12th (?) century and acknowledge that Jesus was
> really born in 4 B.C. when the sky shined with the supernova. That means we
> can say our date is really January 24, 2004. Thus, Y2K already came and went,
> and all we're living is an illusion.
>
> Or, perhaps we should use the Egyptian calendar?
> That'd get us to about.. year 6240.
>
> ---
> Cray's law of programming: Whatever isn't finished by the end of the day will
> still not be finished by the end of the millennium.
>
> Byron Stanoszek <gandalf@winds.org>
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.069 / U:0.332 seconds]