    SubjectRe: Linux and webserver crashes on 2.2.x (Was: Re: Ok, I give up...)
    Well, from you top's I see nothing out of the
    ordinary. No sign of memory leaks that I can see,
    plenty of swap appears to be free. At the time of
    this top your system looks healthy. Was it already
    disk thrashing at this time? Or is it just plain
    dead once you get the onset of thrashing?

    Other things I've see are overspawning of processes
    by things like exim and apache... presumably you
    have reasonable limits on these and have tried making
    them slightly smaller to see if does anything.

    I've see init go mad trying to respawn and have run out
    of process id space due to the mad respawn process;
    large numbers of competing processes can cause disk
    thrashing, ie a lot of active mail processes has
    brought systems to their knees from swapping and
    falling farther and farther behind, requiring more
    processes, etc...

    I have done nothing with samba myself although others
    here have. Are all the known problems with samba
    fixed? Could it be an interaction with one of the
    client boxes? If there is enought swap, then the
    other things that come to mind are in the realm
    of dining philosophers, some sort of resource clash?

    Do the boxes still crash if smbmount is not there?
    Of course maybe that's where your websites are, so
    its' not a test you can make.