    SubjectCD-ROM Driver Design

    Is it possible to perform reads through the block_dev interface with an
    audio CD in the drive? I have been playing around with this for a little
    bit and can't get ll_rw_block() to do it. I have only been able to read
    data off an audio CD using CDROMREADAUDIO. Is that correct?

    The reason I ask is because I'm in the processes of writing an audio CD
    filesystem. The tracks are available as .wav or .au files. So far,
    everything is working, but I cannot use the block buffer infrastructure
    because of the block reading problem.

    It seems to me that the kernel should be able to recognize and deal
    with audio CDs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the kernel
    should provide obvious user space functionality such as doing mp3
    encoding, etc, but the need for CD rippers seems extraneous.

    Any thoughts?

    JM Geremia

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.018 / U:0.148 seconds]