    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes
    In message <85c8no$pov$>, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen"
    | (Richard B. Johnson) writes:
    | >No. According to our Legal Department, to satisfy the GPL requirement
    | >that we provide source to the end-user, they required that we supply a
    | >"current" distribution of Linux if the end-user requests it.
    | My reading of GPL is, that it requires you to ship the source to the
    | binaries that you ship. If you ship a RH 2.1 based system with 1.2.13
    | kernel with tons of custom patches, it requires you to ship the source
    | to this. Not the source to RH6.1 featuring 2.3.39pre1.

    IIRC, you don't have to ship it; you only need to make the source to *what
    you ship* (that part is correct) available for free upon request. Shipping
    it with the product is probably the easiest way to do this; putting it on an
    FTP site with a pointer to it in the docs would also be sufficient, as long
    as nobody gets the idea that they can remove it to save space later because
    it's obsolete.

    brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl
    system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering kf8nh

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.027 / U:30.580 seconds]