SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes
In message <85c8no$pov$1@babsi.tanstaafl.de>, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen"
write
s:
+-----
| root@chaos.analogic.com (Richard B. Johnson) writes:
| >No. According to our Legal Department, to satisfy the GPL requirement
| >that we provide source to the end-user, they required that we supply a
| >"current" distribution of Linux if the end-user requests it.
| My reading of GPL is, that it requires you to ship the source to the
| binaries that you ship. If you ship a RH 2.1 based system with 1.2.13
| kernel with tons of custom patches, it requires you to ship the source
| to this. Not the source to RH6.1 featuring 2.3.39pre1.
+--->8

IIRC, you don't have to ship it; you only need to make the source to *what
you ship* (that part is correct) available for free upon request. Shipping
it with the product is probably the easiest way to do this; putting it on an
FTP site with a pointer to it in the docs would also be sufficient, as long
as nobody gets the idea that they can remove it to save space later because
it's obsolete.

--
brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu