    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] block device interfaces changes
    In message <85c8no$pov$1@babsi.tanstaafl.de>, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen"
    write
    s:
    +-----
    | root@chaos.analogic.com (Richard B. Johnson) writes:
    | >No. According to our Legal Department, to satisfy the GPL requirement
    | >that we provide source to the end-user, they required that we supply a
    | >"current" distribution of Linux if the end-user requests it.
    |
    | My reading of GPL is, that it requires you to ship the source to the
    | binaries that you ship. If you ship a RH 2.1 based system with 1.2.13
    | kernel with tons of custom patches, it requires you to ship the source
    | to this. Not the source to RH6.1 featuring 2.3.39pre1.
    +--->8

    IIRC, you don't have to ship it; you only need to make the source to *what
    you ship* (that part is correct) available for free upon request. Shipping
    it with the product is probably the easiest way to do this; putting it on an
    FTP site with a pointer to it in the docs would also be sufficient, as long
    as nobody gets the idea that they can remove it to save space later because
    it's obsolete.

    --
    brandon s. allbery os/2,linux,solaris,perl allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator kthkrb,heimdal,gnome,rt allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:55    [W:0.036 / U:0.148 seconds]