From: Stuart MacDonald [mailto:stuartm@connecttech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 12:52 PM
To: WANG,YIDING (HP-SanJose,ex1)
Subject: Re: RH6.0 C compiler doesn't recognize "\"

From: WANG,YIDING (HP-SanJose,ex1) <yiding_wang@am.exch.hp.com>
> The C compiler in RH6.0 (Linux 2.2.5-15) doesn't like back slash "\" in
the
> header file for the continued lines. Does anyone know how to make this
> compiler take this standard "\" as acceptible symbol for continued lines?

Look carefully at the bottom line of your vi screen when the file first
loads.
It probably says [dos format]. Use
:set ff=unix
:w
to convert to unix format. The difference? Dos format ends a line with
\<newline>^M
where unix format just ends
\<newline>

The extra carriage return confuses the compiler; the \ needs to be followed
by a newline to be acceptable as a line-continuation marker.

...Stu

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans