SubjectRe: driver for 3COM USR PCI v.90 modem?
Hi Victor,

Thank you for your response but at the moment it is not obvious (to me)
whether this is indeed a winmodem. If so, I will have it either refunded
or start learning the wisdom of reverse engineering. But 3com's web site
mentions various models under "USR 56k PCI modem" and only one of them is
winmodem.

Surely, I always laughed at humans buying winmodems - are you saying I
fell into the trap myself!? (or my wife, at least :)

So, I will have to check carefully what exactly is the model and then
decide what to do, unless you are confident that *ALL* the PCI USR 56K
modems from 3COM are winmodems? Are you?

Regards,
------
Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com
Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd | http://www.ocston.org/~tigran

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <Pine.SCO.3.94.990906113456.9069A-100000@tyne.london.sco.com> Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM) wrote:
> > Hi friends,
>
> > My wife went and bought a 3COM USR PCI V90 modem challenging me to show
> > that Linux supports it as good as ms* or, if otherwise, write a driver
> > for it myself :)
>
> Buy real modem. Apart of general design flaw in the whole WinModem idea there
> are also documentation problem. Or lack of it. 3COM does not provide any
> usefull documetation for the beast so writing of driver is [almost] impossible.
>
> > Therefore, the question is - is it supported and where is the driver?
>
> No. It is not supported and never will be supported till 3COM keep documentation
> for it in secrect. At most you'll be able to get binery-only driver only to
> find out that it can not be used with latest version of linux kernel...
>
> > If not, is someone writing a driver right now so that perhaps I can
> > help by testing it and accelerate the process?
>
> Try to get some documentation first :-))
>
> > If not, can some kind soul point to the relevant specs in case I
> > do have enough time and courage to undertake writing a driver (at home!)?
>
> This is main problem. There are NO specs. At least free ones.
>
> > I did altavista for it and found nothing (except adverts about how good it
> > works under "other" OS).
>
> Of course ! Just like any WinModem.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.059 / U:0.348 seconds]