SubjectRe: CDROM (VCD) and 2.3.15-17pre1
On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Jens Axboe wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 05 1999, German Jose Gomez Garcia wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Since 2.3.15 (the first 2.3.6+ kernel I was able to boot) the CDROM
> > driver is giving very strange problems, it seems that trying to open a
> > Audio CDROM will fail, and mtv (an mpeg player) is unable to play VCD
> > cds. Some programs like cdtool will fail also.
> > Does this mean that there have been uncompatible changes to the
> > CDROM driver? If that is true lot of non-free applications will be
> > broken, and I think that this is not the correct way to do things, I
> > really prefer free software, but not everything may be free. Just hope the
> > problems with CDROM driver will get fixed before 2.4 (and also hope devfs
> > gets finally into the kernel before 2.4).
>
> The CD-ROM problem is not as big as it sounds and is easily fixable
> (either the kernel or the programs). The problems you are seeing
> are caused by Uniform CD-ROM interface completely failing blocking
> opens on non-data CD's. Either patch the application to open
> the device O_NONBLOCK or load cdrom.o with check_media_type=0.
> I think I'll let it default to 0 again (which it did prior to
> 2.3.15).

Changing check_media_type to 0 (in the source as I compiled cdrom
into the kernel) fix the problem with audio CDs, and cdtool works again,
but mtv keeps failing, it detects the VCD and the number of tracks, but
when trying to play the second (the big one) it is unable to determine
its size and doesn't display anything, if you want strace output I'll
send it to you (not to the list :-).

One O.S. to rule them all, | German Gomez Garcia
One O.S. to find them. | german@pinon.ccu.uniovi.es
One O.S. to bring them all |
and in the darkness bind them. | "Wur Qanar Wur Stilor Wur Kas"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.238 / U:0.076 seconds]