SubjectAnyone putzing with NBD besides me?
Good morning to everyone on the list.

Is anyone working with the Network Block Device driver (NBD) in
2.2.12. If so what type of luck are you having.

I grabbed the tarball of userland stuff from Pavel's site and have it
up and running between a couple of SMP dual PII-450 systems. I can
make a filesystem on the device and mount it and read/write files just
fine.

Problems seem to occur when the device gets subjected to large amounts
of I/O. In these cases the throughput goes way, way done. The
slowdown can be pretty easily demonstrated by running Bonnie with a
scratch filesize of 200-300 megabytes.

It smells like a client side (NBD) problem and it also appears to be a
Heisenbug. When I turned on debugging in the server side utility the
stalls went away but throughput was than poor due to the massive
amounts of I/O being generated in the way of the debug information
being printed.

I would be interested in the experiences that anyone has had or if there
are a set of patches floating around which improve performance.

Thanks much and have a pleasant mid-week.

Greg

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein Enjellic Systems Development - Specializing
4206 N. 19th Ave. in information infra-structure solutions.
Fargo, ND 58102 WWW: http://www.enjellic.com
Phone: 701-281-4950 EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com