SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.12 locking up
On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Aaron Holtzman wrote:

> It would seem that Nate Riffe (inkblot@geocities.com) said:
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Tom Sutterfield wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone had any problems with their box locking up, and nothing
> > > being logged in /var/log/messages?
> > >

> > Yes. It usually happens while I'm running X, but it has happened without
> > X running before. Generally there is disk activity and network activity
> > at the time of the lockup as well. I suspect the kernel is having
> > problems with interrupts happening simultaneously, but I can't verify
> > that.
> >

> I'm having exactly the same problems, hard lock and no debug messages.
> Magic sys-req are dead too, but ATX reset still works.

Exactly the same problem here.

> I'm running
> 2.2.12 SMP, IDE root fs, Adaptec 2940 SCSI with a DVD, and a Realtek 8139.

Probably not the Realtek, I had a Realtek card and switched to a 3c905 and
the freezes still happen (they've been happing since 2.2.10, but have
gotten much less frequent with each version). I'm running 2.2.12 single
processor, IDE root fs and CDROM, and Adaptec 1542 SCSI.

Could it be a problem with mixed IDE and SCSI drives? It seems like it
would have come up sooner if that were the case. Disk activity was
involved in every crash that I can remember. When there's network
activity I suspect it's incoming mail, but the 04:00 daily cron jobs
sometimes do it, too.

-nate

> I'm prepared to go out on a limb and finger the Realtek card. I was
> running exactly the same config without the card for about two weeks
> and without any problems at all. Now I get a lockup about once every
> two days or so.
>
> cheers,
> aaron
>
> -

Nate Riffe Duct tape by any other name is just as
inkblot@geocities.com sticky.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.078 / U:1.760 seconds]