SubjectRe: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux -when?)
Alan Cox wrote:
> > If it is illegal, I wonder why mainstream stores are permitted to sell
> > "international traveller" modem kits with adapters for a wide range of
> > countries..
>
> In the UK at least it is an offence to sell a modem unless it is marked with
> either an approved or unapproved sticker and a conformance statement. But if
> you say it doesnt conform then fine it doesnt conform. Furthermore a lot
> of setups don't require conformance.

Let me expand a bit on that.

You can hook a non-conforming modem/whatever to a PBX. As long as it
works, that's fine. If it doesn't, it's your problem.

The Netherlands only cares about Dutch conformance. So you're
perfectly allowed to sell an international traveller kit that doesn't
conform in the UK. Now that we're both EU, things might start moving
towards the one conformance test and one approval, but we still won't
care wether a modem blows up the exchange in the USA....

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------