SubjectRe: [patch] kernel API documentation system
On Sun, Sep 26, 1999 at 06:48:16PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I can understand using an encoding scheme for graphics, but I'm really not
> > thrilled about using an encoding for text. Neither is Linus, by the way.
>
> For patches it is very useful. I get a fair number of mailers that
> seem to like to trash patch files, but none that eat mime encoded
> attachments.

Sure, that's fine, but as others have pointed out mime isn't the end all
to be all. And I thought the discussion was about text stuff, not patches.

For patches, you'll be happy to know that BitKeeper supports wrapping and
unwrapping when you use email as your transport. The following will wrap
the latest changes and apply them someplace else:

$ bk send -wuu user@somewhere.com

On the other end

$ cat mailmessage | bk receive ~/kernel # this autounwraps

The wrapping code is as follows and people are welcome to it:

uuwrap:
#!/bin/sh

# uuwrap - the sending side of a uuencode stream
exec uuencode bkpatch$$

unuuwrap:
#!/bin/sh

# unuuwrap - the receiving side of a uuencode stream

cd /tmp
TMP=unuu$$
cat > $TMP
uudecode $TMP