SubjectRe: IDE + SMP Lockup (no OOPS) in 2.2.12, 2.2.10
Hi,

sorry to hop on this bandwagon but I have the very same problem ->

> Asus P2B-D
> + 2 * Promise UDMA/66 controllers
> + 1 * Adaptec 2940UW
> + 1 * 3com 3c905b
> and dual p2-450 / 512mb ram
> + 1 * 9.1u2w ibm scsi hd
> + 5 * 25gb ibm ide hd (1 on the onboard controller and 4 on the promise
> controllers)
>
> running now in UP mode, because in SMP mode the system just crashes when
> trying to fsck the raid partition (after a few seconds)
> just mounting it works, but also just for a few moment
> when not turning the raid on (so no ide usage) the system runs ok (not
> tried for days)

Dual P2 350
mixed IDE + aic7xxx
2 x 4.5GiB IBM SCSI
1 x 2GiB IDE

any other info is avaiable on request.

Ok, now the _very_ interesting part ->

Hangs (without _any_ output even SysRq) started when I added
another 64MiB DIMM to already existing 64MiB one. I thought, bad RAM.
Replaced it, the same. I've spent whole day changing all possible
combinations of 64MiB DIMMs and every time with 64+64 it wouldn't run
into 10min of uptime. Sometimes it hang on fsck, sometimes later.
The very same 64MiB DIMMs when used alone worked fine.
Day after (today :) I aquired 128MiB DIMM piece. Hangs all around place.
_never_ in the same place of booting !
Ofcourse kernel is 2.2.12, compiled for SMP on RH5.2 box with all updates,
running as web and dns server.
(Yes, I'm planning go to RH6.0 route but it's production machine and, oh well..)

Any other things to try ? Well, it has to be on next friday 'cos that's
the only day I'm allowed to experiment a bit :) !

--
Mario Mikočević (Mozgy)
My favourite FUBAR ...