    SubjectRe: Ext3 filesystem info?
    "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:13:28 +0200, Helge Hafting
    > <> said:
    > > Seems to me that some of this can be solved with a good generic
    > > ACL interface in the VFS. Various filesystems may then implement
    > > more or less of the VFS interface depending on what they support.
    > > Just as some filesystems implement links and some don't.
    > ACLs are just far too varied to be combined effectively in a single
    > API. We support distributed filesystems like AFS in which the server's
    > notion of who a user is is completely foreign to the kernel's uid/gid
    > scheme: how do you propose to identify such users when manipulating AFS
    > ACLs?

    I was thinking of local filesystems. If some filesystem have ACLs very
    different from what we find useful in a generic VFS interface, then it
    cannot be integrated. The VFS would then have to pass ACL operations to
    fs driver unhandled, or the fs might need its own set of ACL tools
    using ioctl.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.039 / U:4.976 seconds]