SubjectRe: Turning lucent winmodem into soundcard (RT-Linux -when?)
Hi!

> Possibly kernel space will be used to enforce certain homologation
> rules, like "can't stay off hook for > X seconds without a signal, or <
> Y seconds". User-space will be involved in _setting_ those parameters,
> then the kernel is responsible for enforcing them should the user-space
> part die for some reason. I'm not sure how necessary that is.

I do not think this is neccessary. Userland daemon should not die. If
it dies, it closes device, and it is reasonable to hangup on such
event. (Hangup is just the right response - always. That's what
happens when you pull phone out of the socket.)

> There's another complication: I don't think it's possible to accurately
> simulate a serial terminal over a pty.

Scarab shows pty is good enough for SLIP to run over it. I do not
think we need much more.

Pavel
--
I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel