SubjectRe: strange mounting problem

Guest section DW wrote:

> From toa@pop.agri.ch Tue Sep 21 20:29:03 1999
>
> > You may check, just to be sure, that the kernel indeed sees
> > the disk as removable. (It will say so in the boot messages.)
>
> Ha, you're right, the kernel doesn't see the HP as removable, only the
> sony is detected as a removable. (/var/log/dmesg)
>
> Good. This explains why no check_media_change() was done.
>
> > I seem to recall that you mentioned that this disk was SCSI-1
> > and that things are fine for SCSI-2 compliant drives.
>
> Yes.
>
> > The ioctl BLKRRPART will do revalidate_scsidisk() which does
> > the required invalidate_*().
>
> This is somewhat Alan suggested to me. So I inserted the
> ioctl(fd,BLKFLSBUF) directly into the eject code from Jeff Tranter.
> This works so far.
>
> Yes. I mentioned BLKRRPART and not BLKFLSBUF because the latter does
> invalidate_buffers() but not invalidate_inodes(), and you want to do both,
> I think.
Alan suggested both, first BLKFLSBUF and then BLKRRPART I did this in
the eject code and if I do it soft like it ends in an infinite loop. So
I only did the BLKFLSBUF. The infinite loop was/is caused due to the
fact that the drive pulls in the already ejected dev. If I do it
manually it works, means push the 'eject button', but sending the
command eject again it spits out the media and then it pulls it in to BLKRRPART.
Well I have to play what's best... But anyway I feel much better than before.
(A cheaper solution would have been to throw away the old drive, but
then I wouldn't have the experiences I have now!!)

(eject code from Jeff!!)

Yours I have to try out tomorrow...
Thanks

Andreas

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.029 / U:0.132 seconds]