SubjectRe: Samba can't keep NT shares mounted
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Admin Mailing Lists wrote:

> what about the problem where file info retrieved via smbmount gets cached?
> Is this all within the same scope, or would that be considered a different

file info = inode data? (file size and so on)

Then I don't think it's smbmount, but smbfs. The inode is considered
"good" for a certain amount of time (5 seconds I read somewhere) so you
will not see changes made by others unless, whatever the magic time is,
has passed since you will see the cached inode.

Would that explain what you are seeing?
(I could be completely off target here ... I'm just browsing the source
as I write :)

> problem? I know there's a doc in the samba source that suggests turning
> oplocks off in the registry on the NT server to remedy this, but I've had
> no luck with them. The problem is quite frustrating when you need
> real-time updated info for a particular file.

oplocks turned on should make this worse since it allows clients to the NT
server to cache changes. This will make it take longer for the changes to
appear to the other clients. If your client does no caching of read data
you should see changes "immediately" (maybe they were talking about
smbclient, assuming that does not cache anything).

/Urban

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.052 / U:0.432 seconds]