    SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

    Phillip> This is not true. There are REAL uses for the call. I am
    Phillip> currently porting an application from Tru64 with behavior
    Phillip> that depends on the number of CPUs in the system. (For
    Phillip> example, How many buffers should I allocate?)

    Phillip> Sure. I can write some code to parse /proc/stat or
    Phillip> /proc/cpuinfo. Tru64 has the sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF)
    Phillip> call, and it would be nice if Linux did the same.
    Phillip> (especially since /proc/ has been known to change...)

    Andreas already suggested extending sysinfo() to cover this. As I
    mentioned earlier, the only real argument so far has been the number
    of CPUs (and maybe the FPU type for cases like the m68k).

    Phillip> Why not have both? Keep /proc/cpuinfo for the perl script,
    Phillip> but use sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) for the libraries.
    Phillip> Plus, what if people don't compile with /proc?

    Compiling Linux to not use /proc is pretty much going to render your
    system useless.

    Jes

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:30.396 seconds]