SubjectRe: PATCH: Update for the serial driver.
Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 02:18:09PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > "struct pci_dev" contains the name of the PCI device ("dev->name",
> > surprise, surprise), and it has been copied there from __initdata
> > information that is discarded after bootup so that we don't waste
> > run-time memory on keeping all the PCI names around when they
> > aren't needed (ie only the devices that were found have the name).
> How will this work with hotplug PCI? Will we not then need to keep
> the whole table around?

If you are doing hotplug you will most likely have a userspace daemon,
so it can assist by proving PCI id->name info in this case.

Americans' greatest fear is that America will turn out to have been a
phenomenon, not a civilization.
-- Shirley Hazzard, "Transit of Venus"