Subjectre: > 15K simultaneous connections EXAMPLE program/OS config needed, was: Re: POSIX aio vs completion ports
Hi,

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:54:45 -0700, Dan Kegel <dank@alumni.caltech.edu>
said:

> Alan recently said that each handle takes up 20k in kernel space.
> so 100,000 connections could take up 100k*20k = 2GB of RAM,
> which might cause some trouble except on very recent kernels
> (and maybe you still need a patch for this).

There are no plans for a kernel on Intel which can address more than 2GB
of system memory for the networking code. Memory above 1G or 2G
(depending on the way the kernel has been compiled) is only usable for
process's private virtual address spaces on the current BIGMEM kernels,
and even if we extend that to allow high memory page cache access, we
won't support network control blocks or buffers in high memory.

> I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone has gone past
> 64k handles opened; who knows, maybe some bad code somewhere is
> using a short to hold an fd.

I've had one file dup()ed a million times, and yes, we used to store
that refcount in a short. Not any more. :)

--Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.967 / U:0.204 seconds]