    SubjectRe: > 15,000 Simultaneous Connections

    >Advantanges over sigwaitinfo():
    > - can dequeue multiple events in one call

    This is very useful to avoid context switches.

    > - Queues would be automatically shared -- iff file descriptors are shared.

    The same can be said about signal queues.

    > - Since there is no implicit per-process state (e.g. signal handlers), we
    > avoid the need for library and application code to fight it out over
    > who gets what signals.

    I don't see this as a big enough issue to outweigh the benefits. It is fairly
    easy to pick out a signal and use it. (It it more difficult to ensure that
    other things don't stomp on your signal handlers).

    The benefits that I see of POSIX stuff is that there is already a precedent
    and API out there. It allows you to queue I/O requests and let the OS worry
    about shoving the data out the pipe.

    Somethings that I think would be very nice additions is the ability to
    grab multiple events from the queue, aio_{read,write}v(), and aio_sendfile().

    I think that an efficient Asynchronous I/O daemon (or handling algorithms)
    could beat out the userland data pushing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.019 / U:47.072 seconds]