SubjectRe: MTRR setting and framebuffer driver
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:
> Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > If we can assume that unregistered physical address space is never
> > accessed (whatever the bus), it's safe to have MTRRs covering that space
> > redundantly.
>
> I don't think that assumption can be made until all the drivers use the
> new resource code.

Some of the fb drivers get out of the way when the X server wants to
talk directly to the graphics hardware, correct? Then in general, that
assumption doesn't hold even when all drivers register their address
ranges.

But it might work if kernel drivers drop their MTRR allocations when
the X server takes over.

David Wragg

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:54    [W:0.126 / U:0.348 seconds]