SubjectRE: Disk Corruption with ide hpt-366 controller & software raid5
On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, Tom Livingston wrote:

>You may have noticed my report of the same system using IDE & SMP being
>extremely unstable, it will crash within minutes of heavy load... Do you

That's definetly not what I can reproduce here. I don't own scsi hardware
at all so I would have noticed if IDE+SMP would be extremely unstable. I
can't exclude there's some subtle bug of course, but that's sure not
trivial to reproduce on sane hardware.

To debug the thing you should do three thing:

1) make sure to be on the virtual console at lockup time
2) press SYSRQ+P at lockup time (SYSRQ compiled in)
3) if (2) is useless apply the IKD patch and enable the NMI oopser with
irq source 0 (default) and wait an Oops at lockup time
3) if (3) does not Oops at lockup time, then disable the NMI oopser
and enable the PRINT-EIP feature and make sure to have the two EIP
boxes focused on the virtual console at lockup time. Write them on
paper ordered according to the second and fouth box.

the ikd patch is here:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/andrea/kernel-patches/ikd/2.2.12-ikd1.gz

Andrea

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.077 / U:0.108 seconds]