    SubjectRe: MTRR setting and framebuffer driver
    Jamie Lokier writes:
    > Richard Gooch wrote:
    > > I agree. I don't like the idea of adding kludges to the MTRR code. It
    > > should provide a minimal interface, making no assumptions about PCI
    > > regions or anything like that.
    >
    > > [...] since we are assuming PCI region rules.
    >
    > I don't think it has anything to do with PCI.
    >
    > If we can assume that unregistered physical address space is never
    > accessed (whatever the bus), it's safe to have MTRRs covering that
    > space redundantly.

    Erm, OK, so you want something that takes the region as given by
    vesafb, checks the MTRR alignment rules, and if necessary scans the
    resource tree checking if the "remainder" is unallocated.

    I suppose you could do that. But than you'd have to make sure the MTRR
    region is removed if something allocates the remainder. Or perhaps
    allocate the remainder yourself (and free it when the MTRR is
    deleted). This is getting messy.

    Definately not something I'd want in the MTRR driver. But a support
    function would be OK.

    Still, it might be easier to change vesafb instead.

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Old: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.049 / U:31.484 seconds]