SubjectRe: Accountability
Date
In article <cistron.19990914160259Z156135-15266+621@vger.rutgers.edu>,
Colin McCormack <colin@field.medicine.adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
>I looked at the patch, it didn't look unstable, unclean or insubstantial. It
>looked like a fairly straight-forward and elegant mod, to me.
>
>I note that there have been 4 released versions of the patch, going back to
>2.0.29. One would have thought it was in a reasonable position to go into
>2.2.1.
>
>Although I am not the author of the work in question, if it was me, I'd be
>looking for some reasoned feedback as to why it's not in the kernel already,
>otherwise I'd become rapidly disenchanted, discouraged and demotivated.

Kernel patches need to be announced on linux-kernel. Then you get a few
people to test it. Then you send it to the subsystem maintainer, or
directly to Linus. These people are very busy; if you sent a patch
for 2.3.15 and in the main time 2.3.18 has appeared on which it doesn't
patch cleanly you won't get an answer. Also if you don't document _very
well_ what the patch does and why it won't get applied either.

If Linus or the subsystem maintainer doesn't reply assume your patch
was not good enough. You can send another email to ask for an explanation,
and you'll usually get one.

To get a patch in the kernel, you need to be very persistent. OTOH, as
soon as a you get a driver or filesystem or other subsystem into the
kernel of which you are clearly the author/maintainer, patches will
usually be applied with no questions asked.

Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"