SubjectDFE500FX, 180Mbps, 21140 drivers issues

Hi,
Got pair of brand-new DFE500FX on my hands(couldnt find anything else
than a short user manual pdf about them on dlink web),

1. Speed - ttcp UDP flood one way 11137 KB/sec, probably goes also twoway
, but my P100 on other end behaved like 386 under heavy load.
ping flood 2way troughput was 14.600.000 B/sec, module de4x5

2. drivers, there are 3 major versions: tulip, de4x5 and dfe500Tx from
ftp.dlink.com

all drivers have problems

1. Tulip: Doesnt work at all, very complicated code, seems like it detects
MII iface and non-MII phy Fx ports and doesnt use MII. This
driver is the only one correctly understanding something about fiber
optic.

2. de4x5: problems with MEDIA_DEBUG and autosense.
screams 'media unconnected', where really everything works and if simple
ping is running, doesnt scream(this was the reason I got those cards :),
people were thinking it doesnt work at all ).
Module parameter de4x5_debug=0 elliminates
those not very meaningful messages. If DOS/NT driver on other end,
everything works, which is somewhat strange, because otherwise the fault
could be attributed to media type (de4x5 thinks TP or default-unconnected)
de4x5 is a working solution.
Just insmod de4x5 args='eth0:fdx' de4x5_debug=0
de4x5 has really helpful description of registers and understandable code.

3. dfe500tx(seems like made out of 2 previous and nice dlinks mib
interface code ) also can not operate
autosense correctly, is only for 2.0 (porting to 2.2 is matter of some
minutes), with parameters options={3,4} worked, BUT, is not going full
duplex and the speed is about 2-4x less than de4x5 in full duplex mode.
Operates on MII, but autosense doesnt work. Tried to modify driver in any
ways to make it FD, played with several(I think 4-6) registers which all
enable FD in one or another way - no luck(no speed, no FD led).
dfe500tx has very nice and clear code, reused kernel code is also made
more clear.

Looking at code of all of those drivers, it seems like the 21140AF chip
has several features of 21143, but is recognized as 21140.

I have those cards for some more (one-two) days. If any suggestions for
modifying any of those drivers, direct mail please, not following
this list.

Also, how it will work without autonegotiation with Fx HUBs ?

elmer.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.026 / U:0.476 seconds]