SubjectYamaha CRW4416S problem playing audio CD's
Hi everyone,

I just got a Yamaha CRW4416S, firmware revision 1.0g, and put it on my
linux box - the SCSI controller is an Adaptec 2940. Anyway, the drive
seems to work beautifully, except that it has a problem when using the
cdplay program from RH6.0.

Invoking the CD player always seems to lock the SCSI bus. I have
consistently seen loops of:

Domain Validation Successful

Performing Domain Validation

I've also sometimes seen messages that say that the card is
renegotiating at a lower speed due to Domain Validation failures.

I rebooted into 2.2.13pre7 with init=/bin/sh, and used the debug=1
option to the Uniform CD-Rom driver and got the list of messages below.

Is this a problem with the drive's firmware, the linux drivers, or the
SCSI controller? The drive seems to play audio fine in win95, and can
read data CD's, and can use cdda2wav to rip audio tracks from the CD.
I don't get linux-kernel directly, so I'd appreciate it if replies were
also CC'ed to gazornetzer@students.wisc.edu

Thanks very much,
-Greg Zornetzer

cdrom.o messages:
Detected scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/16x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
cdrom: entering register_cdrom
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
cdrom: drive "/dev/sr0" registered
cdrom: entering cdrom_open
cdrom: entering open_for_data
cdrom: drive_status=4
cdrom: entering cdrom_count_tracks
cdrom: track 1: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 2: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 3: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 4: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 5: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 6: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 7: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 8: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 9: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 10: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: track 11: format=2, ctrl=0
cdrom: disc has 11 tracks: 11=audio 0=data 0=Cd-I 0=XA
cdrom: wrong media type, but CDO_CHECK_TYPE not set.
cdrom: all seems well, opening the device.
VFS: Disk change detected on device sr(11,0)
cdrom: opening the device gave me 0.
cdrom: door locked.
cdrom: device opened successfully.
cdrom: Use count for "/dev/sr0" now 1
cdrom: doing audio ioctl (start/stop/pause/resume)
cdrom: entering check_for_audio_disc
cdrom: entering CDROMPLAYMSF
cdrom: entering check_for_audio_disc
cdrom: entering cdrom_release
cdrom: Use count for "/dev/sr0" now zero
cdrom: Unlocking door!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.063 / U:0.236 seconds]