SubjectRe: S3 Trio FB
Avenger wrote:
> Newcomer to the List. I have an S3-Trio 64V+ Card. In the configuration of the
> kernel, the framebuffer thing for S3 trio is disabled.

There are two S3 Trio drivers in the kernel, neither of which you can
use (probably). :( The first, S3triofb, is for Open Firmware (PPC)
machines only. The second, cyberfb, is for Amigas only.

Attached is a patch against 2.3.15 which adds PCI support to cyberfb.
It still needs some debugging, as I haven't had time to work on it for a
few weeks now. But, you can see the penguin at least. Text on the
screen readable but garbled, so there is probably something wrong with
the fb_cmap color offsets or something like that.

When cyberfb is fixed, we can remove S3triofb from the kernel. Longer
term, I am working to replace both cyberfb and S3triofb with 's3fb', to
be based on s3lib[1], a generic library which support all S3 chips from
Trio to the current Savage4.

Generic fbdev info:
There is a mailing list for kernel fbdev:
linux-fbdev@vuser.vu.union.edu Send to majordomo@vuser.vu.union.edu to
subscribe.
There is also a mailing list for Linux S3 users (not very active
presently): linux-s3@gtf.org Send to majordomo@gtf.org to subscribe.
Finally, a page full of fbdev info for both users and kernel developers
exists at: http://gtf.org/garzik/video/

Regards,

Jeff

[1] http://gtf.org/garzik/video/files/s3lib-0.0.3.tar.gz

--
Custom driver development | Never worry about theory as long
Open source programming | as the machinery does what it's
| supposed to do. -- R. A. Heinlein[unhandled content-type:application/x-gzip]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.057 / U:0.848 seconds]