SubjectRe: hdd & sound
Nice to find someone that takes there computers as seriously as I do :) I've just got
periscope at the moment (student's aren't made of money unfortunately... :) However, I hope
to at least upgrade periscope to 750 Mhz or 1Ghz asap (when available) probably have a dual
Athlon if it is affordable cos I really really want one (no PIIIs - stupid intel lost my
confidence when they added the PSN). Anyway, I still think it's worth considering that there
might possibly be a kernel situation which doesn't best integrate with our hardware (there,
I said it - without actually saying there is a problem :) I just hope someone notices these
posts and looks into what is causing it - I HAVE NO LOGS on the issue because there is no
fault, oopps, or whatever, it happens and thats all.

Wakko Warner wrote:

> > OK. My point was, we're having the same problem, but our hw is different! OK, it
> > *might*be the hw, but should we not consider that there might be something fscked up in
> > the kernel?
>
> Before, I'm sure it was a hardware problem (really a conflict). I would
> believe there's a conflict here before there would be kernel problem. The
> way the system is configured I wouldn't doubt it. The only normal boxes I
> have are my laptop and my 3rd box (it's just a plain box, 1 270mb drive,
> 64mb ram, same nic, almost same video card (s3, not s3v)) The only odd part
> about my 3rd box is the fact it has 2 floppies (a 1.44 and a 720) and a 14"
> mono monitor. I take that back, I have 1 normal computer. Go to
> http://animx.eu.org/about/computers/ to see my collection. I have pics as
> well.

> > > I definately don't.. This box used to be my primary machine. When I had a
> > > generic ne2000 card in the box, network traffic would cause the sound to do
> > > this exact same thing. I believe it even happened when I put a 3com card in
> > > the box (pci) and the bios shared the 3com with the usb. The problem was
> > > with the ne2000, the usb controller used irq10 as well as the nic.

> > > The 2nd box:
> > > pentium 233mmx o/c to 262mhz
> > > 64mb ram (256mb max), 20mb swap (hda).
> > > hda = wdc420
> > > b = seagate 210 (ripping it out next downtime I have)
> > > c = wdc1600
> > > d = none
> > > IDE controller is onboard, piix4.
> > > mainboard Tyan s1571s titan at-2
> > > video is diamond stealth 3d 2000 4mb using s3virge chipset. Irq not
> > > assigned
> > > USB is enabled (can't disable)
> > > 3com 10/100 3c905A
> > > SB16 pnp. I think it's a value, has an ide port, not disabled, can't
> > > disable.
> > > adaptec aha1510 (I believe this is it, using aha152x driver) on irq11.
> > > sda and sdb = hp 1gb.
> > > 1 floppy drive (3.5")
> > > Kernel 2.2.7. I'm not using isapnptools, the bios setup the sound card
> > > exactly the way the ess card I used to have was (which was also via pnp)

> > > --
> > > Lab tests show that use of micro$oft causes cancer in lab animals
> >
> > --
> > Jonathan C. Masters (jonathan@oxlug.org)
> > PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY
> >
> > "Upon this rock I will build my church,
> > and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".
> >
> > -- Matthew 16, 17-18
> >

> --
> Lab tests show that use of micro$oft causes cancer in lab animals

--
Jonathan C. Masters (jonathan@oxlug.org)
PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY

"Upon this rock I will build my church,
and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

-- Matthew 16, 17-18

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.093 / U:0.224 seconds]