Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 19:35:51 +0100
From: Bob Jiggins <r.jiggins@Bradford.ac.uk>
To: expert@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: [expert] Block device not recognised

Some may remember the hassle I had getting Mandrake 6 to
recognise the presence of my cdrom drive.

Despite all the various pieces of advice offered I could not get it to
work - seems the kernel did simply not regosnise its presence. My
Redhat5.2 installation on boot prints to screen the manufactures
name etc of hda, then hdb then hdc - 'CDROM ATAPI' - it says.

Mandrake 6 does just this for hda and hdb - then skips over hdc for
some reason. I tried reinstalling RedHat5.2 (joy - it worked!) - then
changed the kernel to 2.2.10 (and others 2.2.* incidentally) and
watched - no hdc on boot! So back to 2.0.36....!

I can only guess that my cdrom is slightly buggy and although
2.0.36 can cope with this 2.2.* is more fussy and can not? I'll
change my cdrom drive soon just to see if this is right - and then
may be I really can use 2.2.10!

For the record though this message is really a public way of saying
a very warm thankyou to all those of you who considered this
problem , who took the time the ponder on it, mail me, ask for info,
suggest fixes etc.

As a sociologist as I can that if the spirit of geneorosity that
manifests itself in this list was only more prevelent in society
generally than many social problems would never occur in the first
place!

So thanks again - there are some really good folk out there!

Bob

Bob Jiggins
Research Unit in South East European Studies
University of Bradford
West Yorkshire
UK

Tel: +44(0)7050 615511
Fax: +44(0)7050 644569
PGP 5.0i Encryption - Public Key Available
E-Mail: r.jiggins@bradford.ac.uk

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.032 / U:0.232 seconds]