    SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.x outgoing TCP connects hang after several hours of use
    Meelis Roos <mroos@tartu.cyber.ee> remarked:
    > DH> I've been noticing a TCP connect problem on a masquerading gateway
    > DH> box for a few months now, first running 2.2.7, and more recently
    > DH> 2.2.10 and 2.2.11pre2. They behavior is basically that outgoing TCP
    > DH> connections originating on the gateway box itself fail, but that
    > DH> incoming TCP connects succeed. Outgoing TCP connects that are
    > DH> masqueraded via this box succeed as well. The interfaces are eth0
    > DH> for the local private net and ppp0 for everything else.
    >
    > If you are using some reverse masquerading techinques (like ipautofw)
    > then it may happen that the kernel chooses the local port number for
    > outgoing connections from the range that the masquerade helper uses.
    > It results in just the same symptoms - no outgoing connections, incoming
    > and masquerade still work. When a big-enough number of connections fail
    > then the local port number gets out of the forwarded range and it works
    > again.

    You're absolutely correct. I thought I had check all my firewall
    stuff thoroughly, but I overlooked the autofw rules I had added a
    couple months back to handle Jedi Knight. As a hack to get it
    working correctly, I had removed the control port, so that all TCP
    ports in the range 2300-2400 were affected without qualification. I
    commented these back out (as they should have been all the time) and
    things are back to normal.

    Thanks!
    Dan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.022 / U:0.068 seconds]