    SubjectBuggy chat induced kernel panic in 2.2.12
    Date

    Greetings! A buggy chat program from ppp 2.3.5, which would corrupt
    syslog output when invoked with -e, in addition crashes both 2.2.11
    and 2.2.12. The kernel tries to kill the interrupt handler, reports
    an error trying to kill an idle process, and produces a long series of
    numeric call trace data to the console, but, alas as expected, not to
    the syslog. As this is a production machine, I didn't keep the system
    down long enough to transcribe the output by hand. If anyone can
    think of a way I could capture this to a file, I'd be happy to trigger
    this again after hours. The bug is completely reproducible.

    2.2.7 showed the corruption in syslog, but the kernel stayed up.

    Take care,

    Camm Maguire camm@enhanced.com