SubjectRe: IPIP Tunneling
On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, George Bonser wrote:

> I am just about at wits end trying to get ipip tunneling working with
> 2.2.x
>
> Example configuration:
>
> System A has:
>
> 192.168.50.254
> 172.16.0.254

Are these the current network interfaces (IE: does eth0 = 192.168.50.254)

> System B has:
>
> 192.168.50.107
> 10.1.1.1
>
> (This is a lab environment)
>
> I have the iproute tools installed.
>
> My goal is to create a tunnel between sysA and sysB so that traffic
> between the 172.16.0.0/16 and 10.1.1.0/24 is routed over the tunnel.
>
> I have tried just about everything. The procedure that should be most
> promising:
>
> On system A:

ip tunnel add nameme mode ipip remote 192.168.50.107

First of all the 'nameme' is the name of the tunnel - it does not have to
be and probably should not be tun0 (unless you like that name...)

Secondly the "remote" interface must be the closest ip wise to the machine
sending - IE: it is a routing style config where if I have two interfaces
on machine A, say A1 and A2, and the network connection is between A1 and
B1 then the "remote" part of the tunnel command is B1. Here is stupid
ascii art:

--------- -------------
| | | |
| A1---------------------------B1 |
| | | |
--------- -------------

Your tunnel at A MUST have remote endpoint specified as B1 and conversely
the tunnel from B must have remote endpoint A1

That is the only problem you have. The internal or local address for the
tunnel can be either interface but is best specified as the internal.

> insmod ipip
> ip tunnel add tun0 mode ipip remote 10.1.1.1 local 172.16.0.254
> ip addr add 172.16.0.254 dev tun0
> ip link set tun0 up
> ip route add 10.1.1.0/24 dev tun0
>
> On system B:
>
> insmod ipip
> ip tunnel add tun0 mode ipip remote 192.168.50.254 local 10.1.1.1
> ip addr add 10.1.1.1 dev tun0
> ip link set tun0 up
> ip route add 176.16.0.0/16 dev tun0
>
> None of the commands complain.
>
> When I attempt to ping 172.16.0.254 from sys B, I can see the packets
> arrive on the 192.168.50.254 interface ... tcpdump says that an icmp echo
> request has arrived and it sees it as ipip. It never tries to send a
> reply. Exactly the same happens at the other end. I can see the pings
> arrive but it never seems to even try to reply. It is as if the ipip
> packets arrive but are not being decapsulated (my speculation only).
>
> Is the above not the proper way to configure the tunnel? Is there a better
> way?

Just try the different addressing - if you are not sure send me email with
your version of stupid ascii art 8-} and I will tell you what the ip
tunnel commands should be.

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC
1506 North 59th Street