    SubjectRe: More linker magic..

    On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > So I think the "automatic initialization" is really only useful for
    > > anonymous stuff. Device drivers, normal kernel threads, that kind of
    > > things. Anything more complicated might as well just do proper
    > ISA device order has a lot of subtle ordering rules, some tied
    > to PCI
    > I2O before PCI
    > Network cards in a strict order for ISA probes
    > Sound cards before joysticks - ISA sound card order is critical
    > Maybe for ISA we should just admit defeat and leave ISA devices as they
    > are now

    Probably. I really think it's a matter of "if this device really doesn't
    have any ordering constraints, then we can use the new nifty feature to
    make it invisible to most users".

    That still covers quite a lot of ground. Basically all PCI drivers, and a
    lot of software-only initializations. Stuff that can now be safely handled
    in modules, in short.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.053 / U:35.888 seconds]