SubjectRe: Low-latency patches working GREAT (<2.9ms audio latency), see testresults ,but ISDN troubles
Date
On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:
>
> > - The disk performance decreases by 10-25% when I increase the CPU load
> > in the "latencytest" bench. (On light CPU load there are no disk
> > performance differences, maybe this is related to higher scheduling
> > overhead)
>
> just in case anyone misunderstood the above result (as i think many did).
> The 'CPU load' mentioned above is a _realtime process_ (unless Benno you
> changed the benchmark). This is a _good_ result. 'increase CPU load'
> simply means 'generate more RT load' - which in _this case_ might mean
> less disk performance - but the RT task asked for it in the first place.
> All in one: i can see no problem here.

Ingo, you are right: I just ran the unmodified latencytest and was measuring
disk performace.
In my example I used 1.45ms fragments, this means that my realtime thread
has to be rescheduled about 600times/sec ,
and during each 1.45ms cycle the rt thread wastes about 1.1ms (= 80% of 1.45ms)
of the CPU.

If you lower the CPU load to low values ( 10% for example) , there is not a big
substantial disk WRITE performance loss compared to an unpatched kernel.

The interesting thing is that the disk READ performance is unaffected by your
patches, on CPU loads of 80% I get the same disk READ performance on
your lowlatency-N6 kernel as on a standard kernel.
Perhaps the problem lies in your modifications in the disk write code ?

> if a 'simple' CPU-user (non-RT) is getting more active there is no
> slowdown.

I don't tested this yes, but I think you are right.
(Will report back some numbers when I get the benchmarking done).

You said your patch was 100% stable: are we talking about the same patches ?
The latest I got was -N6 + shm.c backed out + Roger's conditional_schedule()
wrapping in filemap.c.

The kernel is rock solid , except it crashes when I do a modprobe of the ISDN
hisax.o module.

regards,
Benno.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.089 / U:0.132 seconds]