SubjectRe: idea: MAC level compression & crypto
Marc Mutz wrote:
> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > I really recommend NOT hinting at encryption by including a "rot13"
> > example.
> >
> > As said before in this thread, HOOKS for encryption are munitions, and
> > cannot be exported.
> >
> Hooks for _strong_ encryption are, weak crypto (as rot13 _very_ clearly
> is) is exportable (see your netscape browser). The other question is
> whether the prohibition of crypto in e.g. France and Russia
> covers/covered rot13. I think not. Rot13 is nothing that can be
> considered _encryption_ anymore...?

A hook is for "encryption" It can't be specific to strong/weak
encryption.

rot13 is exportable, because they too see that they can't get
anywhere. If they see hooks whith the intent to add stronger
encryption later, you're much more likely to leave the wrong
impression.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------