SubjectRe: Installing linux via serial port
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Peter Liniker wrote:

> Is it possible to install linux on a PC without a graphics card and
> monitor via the serial cable, like it's possible on SparcStations?
>
> More specifically I'm trying to install RedHat 6.0.
>
> The machine I'm installing on has serial ports and a network connection.
> All I need is a way to see what would be on the screen to use the
> installation program.

Technically, yes; Lilo and the 2.2.x kernels handle serial port
console. However, AFAIK no distributions actually have their installs set
up to use the serial port. As you mentioned, though, Solaris supports
this along with all the BSD's and most other major Unices.

Your options will probably be to either make your own custom boot
disks, bug your favorite distro maintainer, or roll your own (or, of
course, through a video card, monitor, and keyboard on the PeeCee).

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org> | All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator, | claimed they were one and always
Reality Check Information, Inc. | pointed to someone better.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.049 / U:0.340 seconds]