SubjectRe: Huge patches such as ISDN
On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 04:02:38PM -0700, M Carling wrote:
> > Then you should try to stay in
> > sync with other developers, otherwise things go bad. Unfortunately (and for
> > reasons that have already been discussed) this has happened to the ISDN
> > project.
> > Now this has to be solved.
> > Somehow the current ISDN CVS code has to be sync'ed with the kernel.
>
> Agreed.

OK. It's good to have consensus here at least.

> > Do you really think it would be best to split the diffs up into a
> > lot of small pieces?
>
> I didn't suggest that it should.
>
> > And you don't expect the ISDN developers to throw away their one year's work
> > and start from scratch, do you?
>
> No. I didn't suggest that they should.

Sorry, if I misinterpreted your message that way.

> > Your request is very valid, though, once the initial large patch has been
> > merged. You should not allow to loose sync again, then.
>
> You seem to miss my point. We agree that there is a huge patch which
> needs to be merged. The only question is when. I suggest that the safest
> time to merge a huge patch is at the beginning of a development kernel
> cycle.

Well, and you ignored me telling that I agree that the huge patch has not
gotten as much review as is should.
But, I think, that it has gotten a lot of testing, which makes the risk of
putting it into 2.3.15 close to zero.

I think it would be very frustrating to both ISDN developers and users to
have the ISDN merge delayed again. Probably, they did not watch l-kernel
well enough to realize 2.3.1x is not the beginning of a development cycle.
2.1.1x would have been ...

Regards,
--
Dipl.Phys. Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de> [Wuppertal, FRG]
Plasma physics, high perf. computing [Linux-ix86,-axp, DUX]

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.036 / U:0.108 seconds]