SubjectRe: ZIP drive as /dev/sda1
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Petr Sebor wrote:

>I thought that zip drive is hardwired ad 4th device, but sometimes Linux
>discovers it under /dev/sda1 not /dev/sda4. This gives me troubles with
>my /etc/fstab since I don't know, where the zip drive will be next time...
>
>If you want detailed report, please contact me...

ZIP disks are IDE devices that contain a partition table. Most
if not all ZIP disks come from the factory partitioned with
Primary partition 4 taking up the whole disk. WHY THE HELL they
chose that is anyone's guess.

As such, any factory zip disks are mounted as /dev/sda4. If you
repartition them yourself however, or if anyone else does, then
the rules can certainly change indeed.

Personally, I would either use all zip disks on sda4, or I would
force partition them to /dev/sda1.

I don't see any other easy way around it.

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate
Computer Consultant GNU advocate

Senior Programmer/Sysadmin - Rooms Plus Travel Guide
Need accomodations for your next trip? http://www.roomsplus.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.034 / U:0.240 seconds]