Subjectproxy_arp bug? [was Re: autorouting problem]

I did this, and things seemed to be working great. The network at home
could see all machines on the network at work, and all Internet addresses
as well. However when I got to work this morning, I found that an NT
machine at work was having problems. It turns out that when NT boots, it
ARPs for itself to make sure that no one is using the address that it
wants for itself. In this case, the proxy_arp flag apparently caused the
Linux box to answer the ARP request, thereby shutting down the interface
on the NT machine entirely. Now I'm not entirely sure how it works, but
it seems to me that in proxy_arp the kernel should never return ARP
replies for the same interface that the request came in on. Im pretty
sure this is what was happening because when i shut off the proxy_arp in
linux, the NT machine started booting properly. Hope this is helpful...
Dave Olszewski