SubjectRe: Anti-SPAM Suggestion...
"Mike A. Harris" <> said:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> >I have about a dozen places where I can RECEIVE email, and my postings
> >could come from any of them, but I have set them all up to show the
> >same FROM address when I SEND emails out. As a result, I can see no
> >need to support more than one email address per person.

> No need for it if everyone uses PINE 4.10 with the "Roles"
> feature. But if you use Netscape or most other mailers, you're
> stuck with one of:

No. All mailing list packages I know of have a feature of subscribers and
people allowed to post. If you want to post, you have to be on the
"poster" list, if you want to get the list, you'd be a "subscriber". You'd
usually place the subscribers into the poster category, add a bounce for
non-susbcribed people, and have "somebody" take care of subscribing the
poster to the "poster" list and forward the message to the list
proper. That's essentially what I do by hand with a 500-people linux list
around here, configured such that "subscribe" and "unsubscribe" messages to
the list also get to me first, just in case ;-)

The problem here is finding that "somebody", and ensuring {,s}he doesn't
get overwhelmed, and that response times stay low. Some questions then:
- How much traffic on the list is generated by non-subscribers?
- Is there any simple way to spread the load, i.e., get the questionable
messages to a _list_ of whitewashers, and post the message &c when _one_
of them OKes it?
- I assume there are possibilities for automated checks, like the RBL, and
AFAIK they are in use. Any others that could be helpful here?

SPAM and other abuse handling is _not_ simple, the abusers thankfully stay
one or two steps behind in technical savvy, but you are forced to work on
it every day, least they catch up.
Dr. Horst H. von Brand