    SubjectRe: [patch] the other __raw_writel's
    On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:30:52PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

    > jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz said:
    > > Take care, they are wrong. long is 64bit on sparc64, don't be
    > > confused by read long when it is in fact a 32bit read.
    >
    > Then readl and writel are the wrong names for the routines.
    >
    > We ought to rename them while we're at it.

    --- begin quote ---
    Following `bit', `byte' and `nybble' there have been quite a few
    analogical attempts to construct unambiguous terms for bit blocks
    of other sizes.

    16 bits:
    playte, {chawmp} (on a 32-bit machine), word (on a 16-bit
    machine), half-word (on a 32-bit machine).
    32 bits:
    dynner, {gawble} (on a 32-bit machine), word (on a 32-bit
    machine), longword (on a 16-bit machine).
    --- end quote ---

    I note that there is no definition for 64 bits in Jargon 4.0, so how about
    feyst? Banqyet crossed my mind, but readb already means byte.

    So readb, readp, readd and readf for byte, two bytes, four bytes and
    eight bytes respectively.

    Alternatively, Sun used `hyper' to represent an 8-byte quantity in the
    RPC specification. But readh might be confused with halfword.

    What's wrong with read1, read2, read4 and read8 anyway?

    --
    Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
    "Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of