    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: [bigmem-patch] 4GB with Linux on IA32
    > Scott Lurndal wrote:
    > >
    > > Certain applications, like oracle, really run well if you give them
    > > loads of RAM. (As pointed out above, you can't give it more than
    > > 4GB at one time, but you can use a windowing scheme with kernel
    > > intervention to map a window into a larger than 4GB shared memory
    > > segment, for example, to the application. Unixware does this
    > > to utilize the additional memory provided by PAE on ia32 arch).
    > Someone braver than I could conceivably write a hugemem device driver
    > which would let you access this memory, put ramdisks on it, and even
    > mmap segments of it. (think solid state storage, except on the memory
    > bus instead of the SCSI bus) That would probably get you most of the
    > benefit, with full compatibility with the current kernels.

    If you are going to do a new api, at least model it after one
    which has an existence proof for PAE support on intel hardware,
    i.e. Unixware 7. The sliding window scheme for large (> 4GB) shared
    memory segments is even somewhat elegent.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:3.528 seconds]