SubjectRe: AIX disclaim() or Tru64 madvise (MADV_DONTNEED) needed
Christoph Rohland <hans-christoph.rohland@sap-ag.de> writes:

> You can not use file descriptors for shared memory since they sync to
> file on unmap. This would be possible if we had shm_open which
> implements shared memory with the normal fd/mmap/unmap syntax.

Are you implying that it would suffice if you could use MAP_SHARED of
/dev/zero and/or MAP_SHARED|MAP_ANONYMOUS style shared memory?
If so, there is (or was) a patch for doing this for Linux (look for
shmfs). It seems to me like a nice feature for 2.3

See

http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9806.2/0803.html

(It was even designed explicitly for shm_open)

Unfortunately the website seems to have disappeared :-(

Jan

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans