    SubjectRe: Boot code rewritten for GAS
    Chris Noe wrote:
    > Well today I went digging around, picked up the latest binutils from
    > cygnus CVS and discovered that it has fixed every bug uncovered by my
    > patch. The 16-bit i386 back-end from 2.9.1 was notoriously bad and from
    > the (quick) looks of it 2.9.5 is a hell of a lot more sane.

    IMHO gas 16-bit use will be inconvenient for a while... my RH 6.0 box
    uses gas 2.9.1, so older systems will be even worse.

    > Then again, I'm not against using say NASM for the boot code. I actually
    > somewhat prefer it's simplicity of syntax, full documentation and the fact
    > that it's pretty actively maintained right now. But I'd hate to bring in
    > another outside prerequisite to compiling the kernel.

    nasm is nice, for all the reasons you mention above. The only
    overriding concern is that as86 works, and assemblers for 16-bit x86
    targets don't need to be updated very often :)

    Jeff

    --
    One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is... If they do
    foul up, there's no law against whacking them around a little.