SubjectRe: Linux 2.2.11pre4
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> I've had multiple header files magically disappearing on me until I traced
> it down to "make" being interrupted with ^C _just_ at the moment when it
> was handling a header file dependency. It's the ".hdepend" rules, and it
> decides that as the "touch" ended with an error it should just remove the
> "not correctly made" header file.
>
> It can be irritating as hell, but I couldn't come up with any reasonable
> fix. Maybe somebody can come up with a better .hdepend strategy that won't
> have that confusion. I couldn't make "make" do what I wanted any way that
> didn't have this problem.

The basic logic you need is to add:

.PRECIOUS: header.h

Whenever you have a line like:

header.h : xxxx yyy zzz
@touch header.h

This will keep prevent the headers from being killed.

Anything that .PRECIOUS depends on does not die if it it's rule fails.

Patching mkdep.c is left as an exercise for the reader.

Eric

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.078 / U:0.144 seconds]