    SubjectRe: Questions regarding Linux swapping.
    > Is there a way to tell the kernel to swap certain programs?
    > I know that sounds weird... but there are many things I have loaded
    > that don't get used continously. Inetd isn't always the answer...
    > After running for a while, most usually end up in swap anyway, but it
    > would be convenient to be able to tell the kernel to swap most of certain
    > processes so the additional ram could be used for cache that much
    > sooner...

    How about the opposite? Disallow programs to swap. After having a program
    go nuts and eat all the memory (assuming one would be at the keyboard), they
    could implement a sysrq key to disable further swapping. (sorta emulate
    swap being full)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:91.700 seconds]