    Subjectirq.h changes in 2.3.14

    I noticed the moving of arch/i386/kernel/irq.h to include/linux/irq.h in
    the 2.3.14 final patch.

    I really don't think it is a good idea to move this very i386 specific
    definitions in there since the interrupt subsystems on other
    architectures are very different from that of the i386. Ie. on the m68k
    we do not use the same types or irq descriptors, the IRQ line statuses
    make no sense etc. and I am sure it is the same for some of the other
    non x86 architectures.

    I see that it expects asm/hw_irq.h to be the architecture dependant
    stuff, but even the things that made it into include/linux/irq.h are way
    to architecture specific.

    Putting this include file in include/linux/irq.h with a generic name
    like that means someone is going to use it in the generic kernel code at
    some point. Having the common kernel code relying on such x86 specific
    features is going to be a pain for us to handle at that point.

    The only things I can see being architecture independant is the
    irq_{enter,exit}() stuff and even then I am not sure the SMP versions
    are portable enough for non x86 machines (being able to do test_bit() on
    a spin lock is fairly implementation specific).

    I really think those bits should be moved out of the generic header
    files to avoid problems.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:1.604 seconds]