    SubjectRe: Threads in linux.
    On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 01:53:21PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Carlos Costa Portela wrote:
    > > Hello all!
    > >
    > > This morning I went to a work-interview. Unfortunately, in that company
    > > they use WinNT. But, well, they had a good opinion about linux, blah,
    > > blah, blah...
    > >
    > > But the director says me that linux doesn't implement threads, is this
    > > true?. He said that threads in linux are implemented by a library, not at
    > > kernel-level.
    > >
    > > If you can give me more info, please let me know.
    > From my understanding, most of the threading work is implemented in
    > either glibc2 or linux-threads, w/ some kernel-level hooks (clone() I think?).

    No, Linux 2.x implements threads entirely in the kernel. The userspace
    library merely provides a POSIX API to the kernel interface (clone).

    > Now, from my experiance linux handles threads pretty nicely, and from
    > what I've seen according to POSIX semantics to boot. Linux, and unix, already
    > handles multiple processes at a time, so the idea is, what's a thread but
    > another process? (I know I'm going to get flamed for this by SOMEONE), so
    > that's the way Linux handles it. Two threads in a running program are just
    > simply two processes that share some info, similar to fork'ed processes, but
    > not quite. ;)
    > Anyhow, that's how I understand it, and I've yet to run into any
    > problems or drawbacks in the linux thread implementation compared to other
    > OS's (Solaris being one, NT another) that have threads at 'kernel-level'.

    Linux's implementation is by far the most elegant.

    Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
    Phone: +61 2 6230 1871 Fax: +61 2 6230 1515 E-mail:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:92.904 seconds]