SubjectRe: Kernel Panic, root fs..
Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Konrad Podloucky wrote:
> > > VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
> > > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
> > You forgot to compile your SCSI driver into the kernel
>
> Perhaps the kernel could be a bit more verbose here.

Why? It is telling you exactly what is going on. It cannot open the
configured root device, sda1 (look for 8, 1 in /dev).

Possible causes are:
- he didn't compile the scsi driver,
- the scsi card wasn't detected,
- There are no scsi disks on the scsi bus.
- he didn't compile scsi DISK support
- he doesn't have any scsi devices at all. IDE-only system. (*)
- His root device is sda2.

So what did you want the kernel to say? All this? I'm pretty sure I
forgot a few options too. If you're going to do this for every
message, the kernel will grow a lot. IBMs solution is to start every
message with a number and document the number and possible solutions
in a book. I don't think that that's a workable solution either.

Roger.

(*) This is the option -=I=- consider most likely. It happens when
somehow you end up with the default root-disk-setting.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------