    SubjectRe: Kernel Panic, root fs..
    Dan Hollis wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Konrad Podloucky wrote:
    > > > VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
    > > > Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
    > > You forgot to compile your SCSI driver into the kernel
    >
    > Perhaps the kernel could be a bit more verbose here.

    Why? It is telling you exactly what is going on. It cannot open the
    configured root device, sda1 (look for 8, 1 in /dev).

    Possible causes are:
    - he didn't compile the scsi driver,
    - the scsi card wasn't detected,
    - There are no scsi disks on the scsi bus.
    - he didn't compile scsi DISK support
    - he doesn't have any scsi devices at all. IDE-only system. (*)
    - His root device is sda2.

    So what did you want the kernel to say? All this? I'm pretty sure I
    forgot a few options too. If you're going to do this for every
    message, the kernel will grow a lot. IBMs solution is to start every
    message with a number and document the number and possible solutions
    in a book. I don't think that that's a workable solution either.

    Roger.

    (*) This is the option -=I=- consider most likely. It happens when
    somehow you end up with the default root-disk-setting.

    ------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------