    SubjectRe: Intel x86 Kernel Console irregularity

    > If the BIOS (or Boot ROM) leaves the screen not in the normal 80x25 text
    > mode (in my case the screen was in 80x50 mode) then when the kernel boots it
    > thinks the screen only has 25 lines so will scroll at line 25 rather than
    > 50. The console is then totally messed up and no amount of setfont will
    > rectify the situation. With the first few lines displaying not in the
    > viewable screen area and ncurses programs complaining about invalid
    > coordinates.
    > Perhaps it would be good if the kernel specifically sets the screen mode
    > into a known state before booting.

    Try using "vga=normal" or "vga=3840" on the kernel command line, it
    should force the kernel to switch to 80x25.

    Have a nice fortnight
    Martin `MJ' Mares <>
    "Don't take life too seriously -- you'll never get out of it alive."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.036 / U:4.428 seconds]